The Apple TV is not as much a gadget-inducing device like an iPhone or iPad. The usual thing is to connect it to the television, configure the WiFi, download some apps and start using it to consume content without paying much more attention to it.
That is why when we need to do certain things like restart the Apple TV, delete an app or change the order of them on the main screen, we do not know how to do it.
If you are reading these lines I suppose you are in this situation and throughout this guide, you will learn to perform important tasks such as deleting apps from Apple TV, moving applications, and synchronizing the home screen between various devices.
Let’s go with it!
Move apps on Apple TV
In the case of iOS, moving an app is very simple and we all know how to do it. Basically, you have to keep your finger on one of the icons on the screen for a few moments, and when they start to shake you can move them by dragging them with your finger. In the case of Apple TV, the process is quite similar, although with an important difference: you will have to do it with the Siri Remote (the device’s remote).
The process you must follow is the following:
- Use the trackpad on the Siri Remote and hover over the app you want to move.
- Press and hold the trackpad until the icons start to move (same as on iOS).
- Using the controller’s trackpad, move the app across the screen to the location where you want to place it. Once in the correct position, press the trackpad button again to confirm the change.
Now you just have to repeat the previous steps with each of the application icons that you want to move until you have the home screen of the device to your liking.
Create app folders
As with Apple mobile devices, it is also possible to create application folders on Apple TV. This can be very useful if you have many applications installed, as it will allow you to “lighten” the home screen and make it easier for you to find the application you need at all times.
The steps to create a folder are basically the same as those described in the previous section, with a small difference as you can see in the instructions:
- With the Siri Remote’s trackpad, hover over the app you want to include in a folder.
- Press and hold the trackpad button until the icons start to shake.
- Slide your finger on the trackpad to move the app and place it on top of another that you want to include in the folder. By doing this you will see how the folder appears.
- Once created, press the trackpad again to confirm the change of location of the application.
When you need to put some other app in the folder, you will have to repeat the process with each of the applications. That is, you will have to re-enter screen editing mode, move the application, exit screen editing mode and repeat as many times as you need.
Remove apps from folders and delete folders
Removing applications from folders and deleting them may not be as obvious as it may seem, so I have also decided to include this section in the guide.
The reasons you may need to remove an app from a folder or delete a folder can be very different: from looking for an organization that is most useful to you, to simply deleting a folder created by mistake.
The steps you must follow are the following:
- Open the folder you want to remove an app from or delete with the Siri Remote.
- Hover over the first app you want to move with the controller’s trackpad.
- Hold down the button until the icon begins to dance.
- With the trackpad, move the app out of the folder and wait a few moments until the home screen appears again.
- Move the app to another folder or place it on the main screen in the position you prefer.
- Confirm by pressing the trackpad button again to exit screen editing mode.
With these steps, you can remove an application from any folder. In case you want to delete the folder completely, you will simply have to repeat these steps until there are no applications left inside the folder; at which point the folder will automatically disappear.
Synchronize the same home screen on multiple Apple TVs
If you have more than one Apple TV, you may want to keep the same home screen settings on all of them. This will allow you to have the same apps installed on all devices and also have the icons organized in the same way, so navigating between the apps will be much more comfortable for you.
To do this you will need to have the same iCloud account configured on all devices and follow these steps to activate synchronization:
- Access Settings and then the Users and account section.
- Now access the iCloud section and identify yourself with your service account in case it is not already there.
- Enable the One splash screen option.
Once this is done, the synchronization will start automatically and all the Apple TVs where you activate it will have the same home screen.
Delete apps installed on Apple TV
If you have an Apple TV HD (4th generation), an Apple TV 4K or higher, you can remove them quite easily, although somewhat hidden. In case you have an older version of the device, you will not be able to delete them, since they only have native apps and in this case, the only thing you can do is hide them.
Then I leave you with two methods to delete apps in case you have some of the recent devices that allow the installation of third-party apps.
From the main screen
If you are only going to delete one or two apps, this is the fastest method, since you can do it on the fly and without having to access any menu.
The steps you must follow are the following:
- Hover over the app you want to remove using the Siri Remote’s trackpad.
- Press and hold the trackpad button for a few seconds, until the apps start shaking.
- Press the Play / Pause button and choose the Delete option from the menu that appears.
- Confirm the deletion of the app.
In the menu, you will also see that it gives you the option to create a new folder. This option is another alternative to the one described above, although when using it a folder will be created with a single app and then you will have to move the others, which is why the other option seems more comfortable to us.
Another option to delete apps installed on Apple TV is to use the device settings. As with iOS, tvOS has a function to manage device storage and from this section, you can easily uninstall applications.
To use this method you must do the following:
- Access the Apple TV Settings app.
- Open the General section and then scroll to the Manage Storage option.
- Once inside, you will see a list with all the installed apps, the storage space that each one occupies, and an icon of a Trash in which you can delete.
- With the Siri Remote’s trackpad, hover over the Trash icon of the app you want to delete.
- Press the trackpad button and confirm the deletion from the new menu that will appear.
And that’s all. By following these steps, you can remove any of the apps that you have installed from the App Store. As for the native Apple TV applications such as Arcade, TV, iTunes, etc, etc … you will not be able to remove them. At the moment Apple does not allow the deletion of native apps on Apple TV.
Hide apps on Apple TV (3rd generation or earlier)
In the case of older versions of Apple TV, it is not possible to delete applications. On these devices, it is possible to hide some apps and for this, you must do the following:
- Open the Settings app and access the Applications section.
- With the trackpad, hover over the app you want to hide.
- Choose the option to hide so that it is no longer displayed on the home screen.
As you can see, the options available on the Apple TV to delete apps, change the order on the home screen, and create folders are pretty easy to use, although they are a bit hidden.